On June 6th, 2013, PEN/Faulkner is proudly participating in Do More 24, a District-wide day of community giving that coincides with the end of our programming year. It’s given us an opportunity to look back at what we’ve accomplished this season, and to look ahead to the exciting things we’ve got coming down the pike.
During our 2012-2013 season, we…
- Hosted incredible authors in our Reading Series and engaged them in conversations about their work.
- Created a new, free reading series at Hill Center featuring local authors in the heart of Captiol Hill.
- Increased our Writers in Schools programming and ran 140 author visits in Washington, DC schools (and were featured in this great Washington Post article about author James Grady’s recent Writers in Schools visit).
- Expanded Writers in Schools to Baltimore and ran 17 author visits at schools throughout the city.
- Awarded James Salter the 2013 PEN/Malamud Award for Excellence in the Short Story.
- Honored author Benjamin Alire Sáenz with the 2013 PEN/Faulkner Award for Fiction, and celebrated 2013 finalists Amelia Gray, Laird Hunt, T. Geronimo Johnson, and Thomas Mallon.
- Were recently selected as one of the best small, community-based non-profits in the D.C. region, and will be included in the next Catalogue for Philanthropy.
Today, as we take part in Do More 24, we feel incredibly proud to call D.C. home and incredibly grateful for the support and friendship of the community that has, for years, helped us sustain and build our programming.
To see how you can support PEN/Faulkner, click on our Do More 24 page!
Thanks for the great year, and here’s to many more!
You can also support PEN/Faulkner through our website here; by mailing a check made out to PEN/Faulkner to 201 East Capitol Street, SE | Washington, DC 20003; or by calling us at the office at (202) 898-9063.