The PEN/Faulkner Foundation’s programming year runs from the early fall through the late spring, and each year we run a variety of literary programming intended to fulfill our mission of building and sustaining a more literate and creative society. We do this through the conferral of two major literary awards (the PEN/Faulkner Award for Fiction & the PEN/Malamud Award for Excellence in the Short Story), the PEN/Faulkner Reading Series that brings the nation’s finest writers to read here in Washington, DC, and a Writers in Schools program that provides free books and author visits to high school students.
This Thursday marks the end of DC’s school year, so it seemed like an appropriate time to pause and reflect on the wonderful year we’ve had.
During our 2012-2013 season, we…
- Hosted incredible authors in our Reading Series and engaged them in conversations about their work.
- Created a new, free reading series at Hill Center featuring local authors in the heart of Captiol Hill.
- Increased our Writers in Schools programming and ran 140 author visits in Washington, DC schools (and were featured in this great Washington Post article about author James Grady’s recent Writers in Schools visit).
- Expanded Writers in Schools to Baltimore and ran 17 author visits at schools throughout the city.
- Awarded James Salter the 2013 PEN/Malamud Award for Excellence in the Short Story.
- Honored author Benjamin Alire Sáenz with the 2013 PEN/Faulkner Award for Fiction, and celebrated 2013 finalists Amelia Gray, Laird Hunt, T. Geronimo Johnson, and Thomas Mallon.
- Were recently selected as one of the best small, community-based non-profits in the D.C. region, and will be included in the next Catalogue for Philanthropy.
To sustain and build our programs, PEN/Faulkner relies upon the generosity of individuals, foundations, corporations, and government agencies. You can help PEN/Faulkner fulfill its mission of building a more literate and creative society by contributing securely online.
You can also mail a check made out to PEN/Faulkner to 201 East Capitol Street, SE | Washington, DC 20003 or make a contribution by calling us at (202) 898-9063.
Thanks for the great year, and here’s to many more!