As 2013 comes to a close, there’s still time to help
PEN/Faulkner Get Great Books To Great Kids
In addition to running two of the nation’s preeminent awards for fiction, PEN/Faulkner administers Writers in Schools, an initiative that provides books and instructional materials to schools in Washington, DC and Baltimore and that brings the authors of those books into the classroom to meet with students who’ve read and studied their work.
How Your Contributions Help
- Expand Writers in Schools programming to high school students and instructors in Baltimore.
- Arrange 160 individual author visits to classrooms, teen parents’ centers, and youth detention facilities in Washington, DC and Baltimore.
- Donate more than 3,000 books to high school students.
- Host public events with Jeffrey Eugenides, Julie Otsuka, Geraldine Brooks, Terry McMillan, Karen Russell, and many more incredible authors.
- Bestow the PEN/Faulkner Award for Fiction on Benjamin Alire Sáenz’s beautiful story collection, Everything Begins & Ends at the Kentucky Club.
- Build curriculum materials for texts used in our Writers in Schools program.
- Honor James Salter with the PEN/Malamud Award for Excellence in the Short Story.
- Produce the PEN/Faulkner Podcast, and keep it free for all.