PEN/Faulkner’s summer internship applications have just opened, and we’d love to have you join our team. Read below for information on our two open internships, starting in June 2016.
Candidates interested in the Public Programs internship should send a cover letter and CV to Lily Meyer at firstname.lastname@example.org, subject line “Public Programs Internship.” Candidates interested in the Writers in Schools internship should send a cover letter and CV to Greg Langen at email@example.com, subject line “Writers in Schools Internships.” All applications are due by May 1st, 2016.
PEN/Faulkner Public Programs Internship
We are currently seeking an intern to assist in preparation for the 2016-17 PEN/Faulkner Reading Series and for PEN/Faulkner’s annual fundraising Celebration, to be held in September of this year. The intern will work 15-20 hours per week over the course of the summer and will have the ability to design his/her own schedule.
Tasks will include:
- Research on contemporary authors for upcoming literary events
- Organization and categorization of PEN/Faulkner archival materials
- Basic graphic design for both print and online materials
- Content generation for multiple social media platforms
- Development research, to include identifying potential underwriters for public events
- General copywriting & administrative tasks
Necessary skills include:
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- An interest in marketing and publicity
- Ability and drive to work independently
- A passion for literature
- A good sense of humor!
All candidates should send a cover letter and CV to Public Programs Coordinator Lily Meyer (firstname.lastname@example.org) with the subject line “Writers in Schools Summer Internship.”
Writers in Schools Summer Intern
We are currently seeking an intern to assist in the evaluation of our Writers in Schools program. This long-standing program brings local and visiting writers – and copies of their books – into DC Public and Public Charter High School classrooms for discussion about their work.
- Assist the Writers in Schools Program Coordinator in the evaluation of this large, expansive arts outreach program
- Work closely with the Writers in Schools Program Coordinator to analyze program data and draw meaningful conclusions on the strength and vitality of the program
- Implement new processes for tracking, archiving, and analyzing program and evaluation data
- Research DC area public and public charter schools to 1) understand the populations we serve and 2) adapt our program to better meet the needs of our local communities.
The internship will involve evaluation assistance for the Writers in Schools Program, as well as extensive research into DC area schools. The intern will create a report at the end of the summer detailing both the effectiveness of last year’s program and the character of our partner schools.
The internship will ideally begin in June and run through August, although start and end dates are flexible. PEN/Faulkner is asking for a total time commitment of 10-20 hours/week, though the intern will have the flexibility to design his or her own schedule.
Applicants should have:
- Excellent organizational skills
- Excellent research and writing skills
- An interest in education and DC area schools
- The ability to work independently
- Knowledge of Google Drive and Google Drive Applications
- A sense of humor
All candidates should send a cover letter and CV to Writers in Schools Program Coordinator Greg Langen (email@example.com) with the subject line “Writers in Schools Summer Internship.”