Educators who want to participate in Writers in Schools should get in touch with our team to review our current list of available authors and books for high school, middle school, and elementary school, as well our our list of Latinx/Hispanic and bilingual authors.
Our programmatic approach is holistic. Our student survey data shows that our program has the most meaning for students not when they receive the book, but when they meet the writer. It goes beyond only the text to the personalization of the written word and expression.
With this in mind, please note our educator participation guidelines for the 2020-21 school year:
- Students who participate in the author visit should be the same students who received a copy of the book weeks earlier.
- Educators should request books only for the students who will attend the writer’s visit. The books are theirs to keep. Please don’t order more books than you have students in your class.
- Books are intended for students participating in the author visit, not siblings or adults at the school. We always add extra copies to the order for the classroom teacher.
- Visits are capped at 35 students maximum. If you need an exception, or would like to request a larger group of combined classes, please email us.
- Requests should be made at least 4 weeks in advance of your preferred dates. Our calendar fills quickly in the months of October, December, February, May, and June.
- Our programming is 100% no-cost to Title schools in the District of Columbia. Non-Title I schools can participate for a nominal program fee. DC-area private schools should contact us for more information.