In addition to accepting submissions for the PEN/Faulkner Award for Fiction (see our guidelines below), we also invite authors to participate in our engaging Literary Conversations throughout the year.
If you’d like to pitch an author you represent for a future Literary Conversation, you can reach out to PEN/Faulkner’s Director of Literary Programs, Shahenda Helmy, at [email protected]
The PEN/Faulkner Award Submission Process
The PEN/Faulkner Foundation will be accepting submissions for the 2022 PEN/Faulkner Award between July 1 and October 31.
- Books must be published in 2021.
Authors must be living American permanent residents.
- Books must be published by a juried commercial, academic, or small press.
- No self-published books are accepted.
- There are no submission fees or application forms.
- Advanced reading copies or proofs are eligible for submission for books that will be published in November or December of 2021.
- Translation: a translation from another language into English by the author is eligible; a translation by someone other than the author is not.
All submissions must be received by October 31, 2021.
Please send an easy-to-read PDF of each book to [email protected] for forwarding to the judges. You will receive an email confirmation from our team.
You are invited to send as many books as you like, and you are encouraged to send available books as soon as possible. Submissions may be made by publishers, authors, and literary agents.
If you have any questions regarding the PEN/Faulkner Award for Fiction, please send them to [email protected]. Please do not send submissions to this email.
PEN/Faulkner believes that every child, no matter their background or circumstances, should have the opportunity to read, write, and have access to rich literary opportunities. Through our Education Programs, we empower the next generation of readers and writers by purchasing culturally-relevant books for students and arranging author talks in classrooms. If you have an author who would like to participate, please get in touch with our Education Programs team, [email protected].
Your Support Matters
Your support makes our programs possible. Please consider a contribution. Thank you.
Make a secure, tax-deductible gift online
GIVE by Mail
6218 Georgia Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20011
GIVE by phone
GIVE by Text