In addition to accepting submissions for the PEN/Faulkner Award for Fiction (see our guidelines below), we also invite authors to participate in our engaging Literary Conversations throughout the year.
If you’d like to pitch an author you represent for a future Literary Conversation, you can reach out to PEN/Faulkner’s Director of Literary Programs, Sarah Silberman, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The PEN/Faulkner Award Submission Process
The PEN/Faulkner Foundation will be accepting submissions for the 2024 PEN/Faulkner Award between July 1 and September 30.
- Each submission requires a $75 entry fee and must be submitted via our online submission platform. We no longer accept email submissions.
- Any books determined to be ineligible will still be subject to the $75 fee.
- If the fee presents a significant financial hardship to an author submitting their own book, they may request a fee waiver by emailing Sarah Silberman (email@example.com). Authors requesting a fee waiver are limited to one submission per submission period.
- Publishers and literary agents are not eligible for a fee waiver.
- Authors must be living U.S. citizens or permanent residents. U.S. citizens living abroad are eligible.
- Books must be published by commercial, university, or independent presses. Books that are self-published, or published by presses that charge for production or editorial services, are not eligible.
- Books published by current PEN/Faulkner board members are not eligible.
- Reprints are not eligible.
- We accept virtual submissions via our online submission platform only. Please submit an easy-to-read PDF (no watermarks over the body of the text) of the title.
- If you have questions about eligibility, and want to ensure you’re not charged for an ineligible entry, please contact Sarah Silberman (firstname.lastname@example.org).
PEN/Faulkner believes that every child, no matter their background or circumstances, should have the opportunity to read, write, and have access to rich literary opportunities. Through our Education Programs, we empower the next generation of readers and writers by purchasing culturally-relevant books for students and arranging author talks in classrooms. If you have an author who would like to participate, please get in touch with our Education Programs team, email@example.com.
Your Support Matters
Your support makes our programs possible. Please consider a contribution. Thank you.
Make a secure, tax-deductible gift online
GIVE by Mail
6218 Georgia Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20011
GIVE by phone
GIVE by Text