PEN/Faulkner’s education programming offers dynamic experiences for young people to experience the personalization of the literary expression through enriching conversations with professional writers, writing workshops, and book donations. During the 2018-19 school year, we donated 5,128 books to 3,892 students in 254 classroom visits with 110 different professional, award-winning, and notable writers!
We currently serve educators and students in grades 3-12, plus non-traditional learning communities at the DC Jail and adult learning centers.
Our core programming includes:
- Writers in Schools Author visits and book donations to every student in your classroom or book club
- Nuestra Voz Author visits with bilingual texts and authors; authors who identify as Latinx/Hispanic
- Together We Read A multi-school book club with snacks, activities, and discussion
- Writing Workshops Personal essay writing workshops in schools led by professional writers
- Writing Contest Essay writing contest for students in grades 8-11 with a $100 prize to the winners
- Curriculum Support Multimedia and literary extension activities to help your students contextualize and connect with the material in innovative ways, created in partnership with The George Washington University
- Summer Writing Programs Intensive writing-based summer programming for DC-area youth
If you’re a DC educator interested in working with Writers in Schools, or if you have questions about our programming, we’d love to hear from you! Please contact us at email@example.com to learn more or to request our current list of writers available to visit your school.