About Writers in Schools
PEN/Faulkner Writers in Schools is committed to developing the next generation of readers. Writers in Schools is a literary arts outreach program that brings free copies of contemporary works of literature into DC schools, and arranges for the authors of those works to visit classrooms and discuss literature and the writing life.
PEN/Faulkner provides resources to aid teachers in preparing students for author visits that will be enriching experiences for all involved.
- Writers in Schools works with public and public charter middle and high schools in all eight wards of the District of Columbia, as well as in Baltimore City, Maryland.
- During the 2014-2015 school year, Writers in Schools arranged 274 visits, working with 76 educators in 49 schools, donating 4,750 books, and reaching roughly 3,000 students.
- Teachers and writers participate in the program year after year, in a testament to their belief in its impact.
Working with Writers in Schools
If you’re a DC or Baltimore high school educator interested in working with Writers in Schools, we’d love to hear from you! Please contact us at email@example.com and browse our curricular materials at wins.penfaulkner.org.
What Teachers and Students Say About Writers in Schools
Quite often, the titles available through the PEN/Faulkner program present students with literature of a sort that might never be encountered in a curriculum determined solely by standards. They get to see literature as it happens, rather than as it has happened in history.
– Sam Leonard, Teacher, Washington Latin PCS
You coming to visit us on Friday meant so much to me. I too am a person who wants to become a lawyer and a writer. I have been writing poetry since I could talk. Your story inspired me and made me think of how I could relate to people with my poetry. You also helped me realize that anyone can be more than one thing in life. I didn’t believe in myself until now. Thanks for being my inspiration.
– A student to Yolanda Young, author of On Our Way to Beautiful
WinS in Action
The following video was produced by Stone Soup Films for the PEN/Faulkner Foundation. Many thanks to the filmmakers, participating authors, instructors, and students.